Hallmark Channel's Countdown to Christmas

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Free Skin Cancer Screenings


My next post is going to be on saving money on healthcare, but here's a quick one before I get into it.  (I'm really annoyed that I just this week got a magazine with this ad in it as screenings started March 29th.)  Aveeno, Rite Aid, and The Skin Cancer Foundation have teamed up on the third annual Healthy Skin Tour.

They'll be making an estimated 80 stops in 24 states to do free skin cancer screens.  These will be done by local dermatologists who have offered to do this, so this will be real doctors, not whomever they've pulled to travel and do screens.

I cannot stress the importance of doing this.  I don't care if you've never stepped out of your house a day in your life without sunscreen, it is important to get screened.  If you do have insurance, they will cover a yearly skin cancer screen.  In the past four years I've had five moles removed, and last year had to go back and had more skin removed on my back as two biopsies came back abnormal.  I'm not a sun worshipper, but definitely am careful to wear sunscreen when I'm going to be outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment